Every year, central and state governments of India conduct exams for the recruitment of teachers in central and state government schools. A huge number of applicants register themselves every year to clear the exams and secure the position of a teacher in the schools. Many recruitment drives are carried out by governments in which they conduct different exams for willing students. Lakhs of students every year sit for these exams to qualify and establish a good future for themselves.
Important government exams for the teaching profession.
Let us discuss the important entrance exams in which you can appear to become a government school teacher in India. With the right information, proper preparation, dedication and focus you can clear these exams without facing many hindrances and obstructions.
1. TET – Teacher Eligibility test
- The teacher eligibility test is one of the most important exams for the teaching aspirants and teaching profession. It is a minimum qualification required to teach in the government schools of India. The candidates who clear this exam are eligible for teaching the classes first to eight of the government schools.
- The exam takes place once a year and is divided into two papers. The first paper is for teaching the classes first to fifth and the second paper is for teaching the classes sixth to eighth. Applicants can select the paper respectively.
- TET is conducted by both central and state governments. After qualifying for this examination, the aspirants can teach in both central and state schools of India.
- The exam is conducted once a year. The duration of this paper is two and half an hour. The question paper is provided in both Hindi and English. A candidate has to score sixty percent or more to qualify for this teaching exam.
2. CTET – Central Teacher eligibility test.
- The central teacher eligibility test is an exam that interested learners can give to teach in central government schools such as Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan, Navodaya Vidyalaya Samiti, etc. The ministry of education has given the responsibility to the central board of secondary education (CBSE) to conduct this exam.
- The exam is conducted twice every year. Through the conduction of this exam, recruitment of teachers for classes 1st to 8th takes place. The paper is divided into two parts. Paper one is for the teaching aspirants who want to teach classes first to fifth. Paper two is for the students who want to teach classes sixth to eighth. The ones who want to perform elementarily, as well as secondary teaching, have to appear for both examinations.
- The students of the general category have to score ninety out of one fifty for clearing this exam. The students of the OBC/ SC/ ST category have to score an aggregate of eighty-five for clearing CTET.
This year this exam is going to be conducted online. It will be a computer-based test. You can take appropriate coaching or guidance for the proper preparation for this exam. Many online education apps help in effective preparation. They provide you several mock tests, aptitude tests that help in-depth learning and understanding.
3. STET – state-level teacher eligibility test.
- State-level teacher eligibility tests are conducted by the different states for the recruitment of teachers for teaching classes first to eighth. It is a TET conducted on a state level.
- The minimum eligibility criteria for all the TETs conducted are a minimum of fifty percent in 12th standard and a bachelor’s degree of education or diploma in elementary education. For teaching upper primary classes the criteria to sit for the exam is graduation in B.Ed or diploma in elementary education with fifty percent marks.
- States have the option to consider the CTET marks for recruitment or can also conduct their own STET. Maharashtra, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Rajasthan, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh, Assam, etc are examples of the states that conduct state-level teacher eligibility tests.
- Let us discuss REET which stands for Rajasthan eligibility examination for teachers. It is a teacher eligibility test conducted by the state of Rajasthan. It is conducted into two parts. Part one is for primary teaching and part two is for upper primary teaching. The exam is conducted once a year or as per the requirements and vacancies.
- It was conducted for thirty-two thousand vacancies. The duration of the exam will be one hundred fifty minutes. The qualified students will be eligible for teaching classes first to fifth and sixth to eighth respectively. There is no age limit for appearing in this exam. The aspirant of any age can sit for the examination. But you should have the correct qualifications to appear. The willing students can read more about it on the official website involved in this matter.
4. TGT and PGT exams.
- TGT stands for trained graduate teachers. The teaching aspirants with a graduate degree in any teaching subject along with a bachelor of education completed can appear for TGT exams conducted by different state governments. By clearing this paper you will be able to teach in state government schools up to class tenth. The minimum age of the candidate should be twenty-one years.
- PGT stands for post-graduate teachers. This means the teachers who are eligible for teaching the students up to class twelfth. The teaching aspirants for giving PGT exams conducted by the state government have to hold a postgraduate degree along with B.Ed completed. After clearing the exam you will be recruited in the state government schools for teaching the senior secondary students. The minimum age criteria for this exam is twenty-one years.
Important information for students
1. Students should keep checking the official websites and links of the exams that they want to appear.
2. Make a file of the necessary documents required such as recent passport size photographs, scanned copy of mark sheets, signature, etc.
3. Check the syllabus of the exams and study accordingly. You can join online tuitions where teachers with the help of some great online education apps, provide you the best education services.
4. Fill the forms on time and get the printouts of the admit cards as well. Keep visiting the official website to keep yourself updated about the exam dates, results, centers of exams, and much more.